Cedars Montessori is situated on a beautiful 16-acre campus in Southwest Austin.
Our campus has hundreds of trees and is home to an astonishing variety of native animals, plants and flowers, butterflies and birds. Children at Cedars experience learning in this peaceful setting of unspoiled Texas nature.
The entire 16 acres is considered an extension of each classroom. On any given day, students can be seen working in groups all over the property, both indoors and outdoors, immersed in a variety of subjects of study.
The Cedars family includes goats Clover and Suerte. Ernie the cat has adopted Cedars as her home, and we have many new baby chicks coming this fall 22/23. Elementary children often take part in caring for our animals.
The classrooms incorporate the natural environment which is thoughtfully brought in at every level in many forms. For example:
- each classroom has direct access to their own garden and outdoor space;
- windows are low and offer beautiful views, extending the classrooms outward;
- materials are made of natural and beautiful products where possible and support the curriculum;
- the framed art, indoor plants, and reading materials reflect the wonder of nature and inspire inquiry about the natural world;
- elementary children utilize The Clearing - a large, unspoiled portion of the property used for climbing trees, building forts, and running free;
- both primary and elementary children have access to Prairie Hill - an impressive man-made hill covered in local grasses for climbing, exploring and daydreams;
- our campus hosts three monarch way stations, and we have fruit trees and other landscaping to compliment the classrooms. Gardening is a key element in our outdoor education. We frequently engage our families in helping up build up our garden and add plants from local nurseries and growers!